Liddiatt Organ Restoration
St. John the Baptist Church organ.
The organ was built by Thomas Liddiatt and Sons in 1913.
Thomas was originally a joiner based at nearby Leonard Stanley, who diversified into organ building, finally handing over the business to his sons.
The cost of the instrument in 1913 was £300. The Corporation of New York paid half the cost on the condition that the congregation raised the other half, which they duly achieved, as witnessed by the presence of the instrument today.
The tubular pneumatic action of the organ was originally supplied by air pressure from hand-pumped bellows. It was converted to an electric blower in 1953, given in memory of John and Olivia Camm of Weir Farm, by their children.
We are now excited to announce that the proposal for much-needed work on the Elmore organ has been given the green light!
The organ last had major restoration work carried out in 1969 by Osmond & Co. Taunton.
At the beginning of April, Tony Cawston will start essential remedial work on the organ.
Improvements will include rebuilding the pneumatic key and pedal action, adjusting the pedalboard and curing air leaks.
Work on re-building of the blower discus has already begun.
Progress of the restoration work will be published on this page.
Stay tuned for updates!
Thomas Liddiatt and Sons
Year of construction: