Elmore is a parish in the middle division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 5 miles S.W. of Gloucester. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Severn. The church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is an ancient stone structure with an embattled tower at the west end and an extensive churchyard.
The north aisle was the original chancel and the lower of the three sections of the tower is from the 13th century. The Church was restored in 1879-80 by F.S. Waller when the chancel was re-roofed and the nave and aisle roofs repaired. The font, pulpit and vestry screen are also of this date.
To the south side of the Church stand a remarkable array of table top tombs dating from the 15th century onwards. One tomb chest dates to 1472 having an incised line portrait of a knight in armour and inscriptions commemorating "Johannes Gyse and Alicia his wife". Another bears two crying figures commemorating the departed. To the west of the Church is the Guise family mausoleum, now a ruin and located near to the more recent Guise family burial ground.
Elmore Court, the ancient seat of the Guise family, is a handsome Elizabethan mansion situated nearby. It is the ancient centre of the village and the surrounding estate is managed by tenant farmers.